Thursday, January 21, 2010

CATFIGHT: Old Grey Lady versus Voluptuous Blonde who Plays Voluptuous Redhead on TV

(Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

I normally don't get into these fashion and entertainment industry pissing matches, and to be honest I haven't seen a single episode of Mad Men. But apparently one of the New York Times stylistas liveblogging the Golden Globes had this to say about Mad Men actress Christina Hendricks:

"You don't put a big girl in a big dress. That's rule number one."

Umm......define 'big', please. From what I see, Ms. Hendricks has curves. I can't say with certainty she has curves in all the right places- closer firsthand examination will need to be undertaken by yours truly to reach a more definitive conclusion- but from what I see so far, she's off to a good start. Aren't curves on a woman supposed to be healthy and feminine and even celebrated? It's not like we're talking about Susan Boyle without the singing ability here. I think all these news stories about the uptick in obesity in Americans has us looking for signs of that problem when there are none....or it could just be petty schoolyard name-calling and cheap shot that are supposed to be clever. I wouldn't put that past somebody on the Time's payroll.

I also feel compelled to speak up on Ms. Hendricks behalf because, although technically not a pin-up, she's a leading actress on a show set in the early 60s, so I suspect she'd have to have the look down for the role. Plus, if Philly blogger Wyatt Earp taught me anything, it's that you can't have too much eye candy (Hendricks-centric or otherwise) on your blog.

Given the Old Grey Lady's already-established 'journalism' practises like denying Stalin's engineered famine in the Ukraine was taking place (and a Pulitzer being awarded to the 'reporter' who ignored it), having liar and plagirist Jayson Blair on their payroll for 4 years and routinely publishing national security and intelligence information during the Bush administration, I'm not above dogpiling on the publication. Or laughing as their stock [NYSE: NYT] circles the drain.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you know I and to come and look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a woman with curves. Especially if they can hold it and don't care about the waif thin model looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hear if for the girls with curves, after all alot of us like them that way.

    ReplyDelete