Friday, November 2, 2012

CNN Founder Ted Turner: High Suicide Rate Among US Servicemen in Afghanistan is "Good"

Between 'Superstorm Sandy', the closing week of the 2012 election and the White House's deceptive narrative on the 9/11 terrorist attacks in Benghazi unrabelling, i though this short but rather telling snippet of video from CNN last week seems to have been lost in the shuffle.

In an interview with his own network's Piers Morgan, the TV show host pointed out to Mr Turner that the rate of suicides among American soldiers in Afghanistan was actually higher than combat-related casualties.

This is what billionaire media mogul Ted Turner had to say in response:



If you notice around the 9 second mark, after Morgan asks "Shocking, isn't it?" he begins to say "No, I think it's ter-" before apparently correcting himself and saying "I think its good" before spouting some touchey-feeley New Age crapola about how people are inherently hard wired to be compassionate and helpful to one another.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Turner issued an 'apology' through a spokesman shortly afterwards.
During my recent interview on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight, I inadvertently used the word "good" when asked for my thoughts on the increasing rate of suicide among U.S. military soldiers in the Middle East. It was certainly not my intent to imply that suicide is "good." Rather, I was implying that it is good that the public is more aware of these tragedies and is more averse to war and war-related fatalities.

My message has always been one of peace, I believe that we're born programmed to love and help each other, not to kill or hurt each other. I strongly support our U.S. troops and would never intentionally say anything to harm the brave men and women serving our country. I deeply apologize for any misunderstanding caused by this comment

I'm really not sure what I could possibly write to follow this up, other than I've gone from pitying CNN in their race to the bottom of the ratings heap to openly despising them.

No comments:

Post a Comment