Friday, June 18, 2010

Economic Recovery, Obama Style!

I have to say that in my experience so far, part of the 'Obama Economy' apparently involves my making the acquaintance of some 'Help Wanted' ads and job opening posted online- at least when I'm not bouncing from temp job to temp job.

While some folks have me pegged as an anti-government extremist (I was in the same ZIP code as a Tea Party, after all), as a veteran of the United States Army, it's not completely unheard of for me to draw a paycheck from Uncle Sam.

So mostly out of curiosity, I was going through the USA Jobs website to see what kind of openings they had- in alot of places, the government seems to be the only place that's hiring. It seems there are a number of openings that were posted this month with the Department of the Interior's Mineral Management Service- the agency that's (theoretically) responsible for inspecting offshore oil rigs.

As it turns out, there were a number of openings with the MMS. The job? Offshore Operations and Safety Inspector. The listing is pretty ambiguous on how many positions are available, but there's this quote from the USA Jobs page:
Multiple Vacancies in various District Office Locations: Jefferson, LA, Houma, LA, Lake Charles, LA, Lafayette, LA, Clute, TX.
Yes....all these openings seem to be along the Gulf of Mexico for some reason. Go figure. This must be those 'Jobs saved or created' that Obama was talking about in his State of the Union address.

No comments:

Post a Comment